Sunday, December 23, 2012

To Slip and and Fall, in Appleton, WI … but only for the Poor

Slip and fall top 

Snow and Ice

Wisconsin received it’s first significant snowfall on December 21, 2012.  Over the next few days private and city crews waged a war on heavy snow, and the icy and slippery conditions that followed.IMG_1049   I encountered sidewalks IMG_1054that resulted in me falling to the ground over 7 times.  Growing concerned that my photo gear would break, or I would be injured (I was injured on the job with an employer that could care not as long as his profits were intact … that resulted in a drastic change in my life,  possibly life long nerve damage in my right arm, and extreme pain that continues to this day,  but that is a different story for a different time, once the case is settled).  I witnessed several times individuals slip and many fall. 

Residential and Home Owners face the law, Business People are above the Law?

The City of Appleton’s website states that “Property owners are IMG_1518required to remove snow and ice from the entire IMG_1509width of the sidewalks within 36 hours of the end of the storm. If walks are not cleared and the  Department is notified (we do not actively seek  violations) the City's contractor will remove the snow. The contractor hired to perform this service takes "before" and "after" pictures of the site. The cost of clearing theIMG_1521 sidewalk is currently $75 plus $0.40 per foot after the first 100 feet and is billed  to the property owner”.   But this onlyIMG_1043 applies to “private homes” and homeowners.  Apparently, if you are a business  man, or business owner, all that goes out the window.  I could find no reference where business’s are required to remove snow and ice, as I was sternly informed by one manager after I slipped and fell.  After falling in front of a coffee shop on College Avenue, I stormed into the place and demanded they IMG_1219 throw some salt down.  I was informed that they absolutely would now and that is not their responsibility. 

I did notice the difference between some business.  On one street, where the city had apparently cleared the sidewalks, it was nearly impassable, and yet only a few yards passed, the sidewalk was completely clear of snow and ice, only one day after the storm.

Does the City of Appleton want to be sued

With all of these dangerous situations present on the streets of the city, one has to wonder … does the City of IMG_1066 smallAppleton want to be sued?  I would say that after my seven falls, damage to expensive equipment, as well as  my body, I am sure that any ambitious lawyer would love to get a new boat, or sports car courtesy of the fees he would make off of a lawsuit against the city.  With budgets tight these days, one would think that the city would be careful to avoid a being forced to pay out millions of dollars to IMG_1325injured individuals.  With the city workers struggling to do their best, other measures should be taken.

Don’t blame the City Workers

On about my 3rd slip and fall, I got mad.  It is when I decided IMG_1076to write this story.  After I fell, as I was getting out my camera I noticed a lady slip and almost fall at exactly the same spot, less than a minute later.   She went to the attendant’s booth at the East Ramp parking facility.  Shortly after that, a city truck pulled and and was stopped at the attendants booth.  The driver looked over, saw me with my camera, and quickly drove away.   A story was in the works for sure at that point. 

I took a few of the shots you see in this report, then looked up online the responsible parties and contacted Kurt Craanen, an inspector with the City of Appleton.  That was at 2:38pm.  At 2:07 I received an email from Corinne Pigeon, City of Appleton that Barb George, a meter checker, went and threw salt down.  I was impressed with their response as I am sure that whey were quite busy at the time.   Good job guys (and girls of course).  But never the less, the conditions even 4 days later are horrible.  

The bridge over the tracks on College IMG_1401avenue could not be crossed on foot even 3 days after the IMG_1405storm.  If pedestrians have no hope of getting to where they need to be … that is if they cannot afford a car or a bus ticket, then the services that their taxes pay obviously only serve those who have an income that allows them to purchase, insure, and maintain a motor vehicle.   Basically, if you are too poor to afford the luxury of a motor vehicle, on a minimum wage job, then you have no right to expect services other richer citizens receive … thus the title of this story.IMG_1525

A Suggestion

There are uncounted individuals throughout the city that are in need of work.  At IMG_1522the shelters alone, the city could find an entire platoon of motivated workers.  At the time of the storm and the day after, I encountered several individuals our looking for shoveling work.  At an hourly rate of the standard seasonal park employee, the city could employ and deploy with shovels, Ice Picks, and Salt, these individuals at a cost effective rate, and really get the sidewalks clean.  This would avoid the inevitable lawsuit.  Unless maybe one of our “City Leaders” has a plan, to help a friend get rich off the city … via a slip and fall.

To view full size versions of the photos, click on them, they will open in a new tab …

PLEASE!, Donate here.,,, It takes a lot of time and effort as well as wear and tear on expensive video and computer equipment to deliver you independent news and video. The time I can offer, but the costs of providing corporate influence free … free news takes money, to pay for the gear, bandwidth, and gas we use to do these reports. I try to provide more rich and higher quality content than the big money, corporate media. If you value this, please contribute to US Confidential and Wisconsin Confidential by making a donation . Please, Donate here.

No comments: